Best Sewing Book for Beginners
Simply the Best SEWING BOOK is my latest purchase and has everything you need to start your sewing adventure. This book is a hardback book and has eight information filled chapters!
CHAPTER 1 REASONS TO SEW
- Helps you to figure out what your reasons are for sewing
- Gives some tips on how to achieve a flattering wardrobe!
CHAPTER 2 PATTERN ENVELOPE
- Shows what information you’ll see on the front and back of the envelope
- You’ll also find information about the pattern directions and pattern pieces.
CHAPTER 3 FABRICS AND SEWING TOOLS/MACHINES
This chapter has a cool ‘Fiber Facts’ sheet that talks about:
- Different fibers
- Common names for Fibers
- Advantages and disadvantages of each fabric
- How to care for the fabrics-great to have incase you forget to write down the care instructions from your fabric that you just bought at the store.
CHAPTER 4 BODY MEASUREMENTS
- Choose the right size pattern for your measurements
- Adjust the pattern to achieve a great garment fit
This chapter has great photos for following along with directions for adjusting the pattern. The written directions are easy to understand as well. For along time I would make shirts but the fit was always so big in the chest and shoulder area until I learned about an extra measurement to take and how to determine the correct size. My shirts now fit, and I’m excited to make more shirts!
Picture of a page in the book along with color coded chapter tabs and spiral center of the book.
CHAPTER 5 GENERAL SEWING BASICS
- Fabric preparation
- How to read a cutting layout sheet for patterns
- Pattern piece marking methods
- General introduction to a sewing machine
- Types of seams and seam finishes
- General introduction to sergers
- Iron usage, pressing equipment, and hand stitching
There is so much valuable information is this chapter! And, this chapter also comes with a chart for troubleshooting the sewing machine and/or serger, sometimes you can have little problems with your machine and it helps to have this chart to figure out what’s happening and how to fix it.
CHAPTER 6 SEWING TECHNIQUES GALORE!
- Adding facings, darts, tucks, pleats and gathering
- Make your own binding and how to miter a corner
- Work with bands, collars, sleeves, shoulder pads and hems.
- You’ll also see how make different types of waist bands,make and insert belt loops, closures, buttons, trims and zippers! I almost forgot, there is a short section on Tailoring!
CHAPTER 7 FABRICS
- Apply Stabilizers to fabrics
- Special Fabrics: Velvet, MicroFiber, Leather and Lace and more
I’ve been sewing for many years and this chapter does a great job teaching about special fabrics and how to work with the fabrics. There is information given for each special fabric. Examples: size of needle, pressing technique, seams and seam finishes, type of thread to use, etc.
CHAPTER 8 PATTERNLESS PROJECTS
Helping you learn new techniques or practice some “rusty sewing skills”
Books are a great way to learn to sew, classes are also great because they offer valuable and immediate feedback from the instructor and other students.
Thanks for reading, see you soon!